Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Spelling Bee

Your Word I have hidden in my heart. Psalm 119:11

My wife and I stayed up late to watch a TV program we found exciting .... the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It was fascinating to watch middle- school children as they recited the correct spelling for some of the most difficult words imaginable.

Anticipation grew as one contestant after another was disqualified. Finally, only 13-year-old Katharine Close remained. One word stood between her and the world championship. With little hesitation, Katharine correctly spelled the word ursprache.

Obviously, Katharine can spell! But it;s possible to know how to spell a word, yet not understand its meaning.
As believers in Jesus Christ, it's vital for us to know God's Word, the Bible. Our goal is not to accumulate knowledge but to internalize His Word so that we can be equipped in our walk of faith.

When we know God's Word, it keeps our spiritual walk from slipping (Psalm 37:31). It satisfies the hunger of our souls (Jer 15:16). And it is a key weapon in facing temptations and trials(Matt.4:1-11; Eph 6:10-18).

Let's make it our aim to know the Word. Then, when facing life's challenges, we can be ready for any situation(IITim3:16-17). ......Dennis Fisher

My hunger for the truth He satisfied;
Upon the word, the Living Bread, I feed:
No parching thirst I know, Because His grace,
A pool of endless depth, supplies my need. ....... Sanders


To the wise, God's Word is sufficient.

0 comments: