Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fathers: Release Your Children for Service



“In the same way that You gave Me a mission in the world, I give them a mission
in the world” (John 17:18 MSG)


Jesus released His disciples to serve God’s purposes.

As a dad I am responsible to protect my kids as they’re growing up, but that doesn’t mean I protect them from taking risks for the glory of God. You can be so overprotective that you do not release your kids emotionally, or maybe even physically, to do what God wants them to.

You say, “Sure, I want my kids to serve God, as long as they stay here in the area.” Or “Yeah, I want my kids to do what God wants them to do. They can follow His plan and purpose for their life, as long as they don’t leave this area and live right down the block.” “They can do whatever God says as long as they don’t do something that’s dangerous, where they could be hurt or killed.”

It is natural as parents not to want your kids to be hurt. But let me ask you this very frank question: Are you willing to let God be God in your kids’ lives?

Or are you still trying to be God in their life? You’ve got to let them go. I’ve seen some parents try to control their children’s lives even after they are married; yet, the Bible teaches that for marriage “a man leaves his father and mother and is united with his wife, and they become one” (Genesis 2:24 TEV).

The point is it is God’s plan for children to leave and, as parents, we must teach them while we have them but then let them go to serve God’s purposes.

Jesus said, “In the same way You gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world” (John 17:18 MSG). The whole goal of parenting is to eventually release your children. From the moment they are born, you are preparing them to be released into the world, not to hold on to them or to control their lives for the rest of your life.

Rick Warren

0 comments: