Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Love Needs No Because


Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die.

Romans 5:7 (NIV)


The love of God needs no because. He does not give his love because of something that you’ve done. He does not give his love because of something he will gain. He does not give his love because it’s something you have earned.

He gives his love with no because.

We come at love with conditions: you can take it or leave it.

God comes at love with no conditions: I’ll take you and I won’t leave you.

We might, in rare instances, show love by dying for someone we deem worthy. God, in all instances, showed love by dying for us, even when we were still drawing blood from his love (Romans 5:7–8).

When we were still in rebellion against God’s love, Jesus said, “I lay down my life . . . . No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord” (John 10:17–18 NIV).

I lay it down, Jesus says, with no need for because.

“I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you” (John 13:15 NIV)...Jon Walker



0 comments: